Gawande1
Anuja Gawande
16 November 2012
Ms. Harmon
Pre-AP English 10
The loss and the beginning of new hope
Death of
someone your own blood leaves a devastating wound upon a family which takes
years to heal. Only time can heal them. The fear of losing near ones was set
into my mind.
Extreme
silence surrounds us as I am sitting besides granny, laying my head on her
shoulder, both looking at the empty bed which once belonged to grandpa. No one
is speaking as we are realizing the unfortunate truth. This was the first time
ever I came across death.
“Granny,
I wish he can come back.”I broke the silence.
“Sweetie,
though he is not in front of us but he is always with us. “ She said sobbingly.
The old
large grandfather clock of wooden color with silver lining and carved details
sits on the right-hand-side corner of the room near the bed. Its relentless
ticking sound filled the silent bedroom as the nostalgic memories of my grandpa
are flashing through my mind. Tick-tack! Tick-tack! Tick-tack!
Yum!
Chocolate chip cookies and tea are always my favorite no matter how many times
I eat it. Eating them while listening to grandpa's fascinating stories seems to
me as the best thing to do at the age of 8. He discerns all the stories from
spiritual and emotional to the kings and queens one. All of his stories make me
curious to know more.
“Grandpa,
is this story about fairies?” I asked excitedly.
“No
honey, but it's something interesting. It was in the year 1997 that I went to a
village named Silvia to find the cause of the disease that was spreading in the
village.” He began.
I listen
carefully to his every word. My little brain could imagine all the people and
the things happening in front of my eyes.
Being a doctor he worked at different hospitals at different places and
had a lot of adventures which he tells us. The huge grandfather clock was
bought by him from a place called Jagdalpur and was
his favorite. Apart from gardening, feeding birds and telling me stories,
cleaning the clock is his beloved activity.
Suddenly
the clock loudly strikes ten o'clock and its sound echoed in my mind for a few
seconds bringing me back to the ill-fated present. I realize that how much I
miss him he cant come back. Despite his knowledge of homeopathy, he could not be saved by god or himself from the ugly disease of
cancer. It is said that history repeats itself. Same is with cancer. It
reoccurs after ten-fifteen years. Last time grandpa fought with liver cancer it
took away half of his stomach for complete cure but this time it cost him his
life.
“Granny,
it's been an hour since you are cleaning the clock. Take rest for a while.” I
said with concerned look on my face when I saw her dusting the clock in the
morning. Although I know her reply that she would not relax until she cleans it
but some part of me pushed me to say that.
This morning has brought new freshness with
it. As I am looking at her, her face shining in the daylight, I see what I have
more than what I had lost, I see my
happiness ,I see what more I can loose and I see what I should care about. My granny and I had good times together
but somehow grandpa affected me more. It is true
that someone's death can change you and grandpa's death has changed me into a
better, loving and caring person. From today I have decided to love granny more
than before, make her everyday special and never let her remember the loss.
No comments:
Post a Comment