Monday, October 29, 2012

A REFLECTION ON MY PAST

It can be a great experience to learn something new. Trying to recall how I learned to read and write was a tough thing for me. I never gave it a thought before. So I asked my mom to tell me all about it.  After hearing from her I came to know that at first I was not good at writing.

ABC's were easy for me to read but gave me a hard time writing them. However I had an advantage that I learned my native language before learning English because of which I was able to read English without any struggle as the pronunciation are somewhat similar. At the age of four I started spelling some weird words in front of my mom's friends. In my country teachers was focused on memorizing everything it was in first grade that my English teacher told my parents "your kid is experiencing some problems in writing and you need to help her at home". These were her exact words. Even I was surprised by knowing that for a whole day my mom made me write everything and I could not speak anything. I have to write everything out. My parents played a bigger role than my teachers in helping me learn to write.

Being the youngest in the family, everyone was there to help me in my any problems.  However learning to write was a tough and boring job for me. It happened slowly and gradually. My parent's effort and my teacher's willingness finally brought a result. At the end of my third grade I could write pretty well. As far as my reading was concerned it was fine. My parents were proud of me when they were shown my notebook scribbled with sentences and with beautiful writing. I scribbled walls using colored crayons. I did that before learning to write too but the only difference was that now I used to scribble letters.

Another advantage that I had was of having an older brother. At the beginning of my teenage years, his stack of books was given to me and I found that there are some really good interesting pieces to read written by great authors. Some novels like Sherlock Holmes, one of the great fiction novel, the invisible man and Twilight specially drew my attention. Sometimes I was so engrossed in my novel that I was forced to stay up at night until I completed the novel, at least the chapter. Somehow these novels helped me understand the world better and turned me into a much mature person that I was before. Most of the novels I read were fiction but the truth and the moral behind the fiction stuck out to me and appealed to me in every way.  I am not much of a reading fan but still I am always looking for some good novels to read. I think if you are able to write then you can express yourself better and truly understand what you feel. There are numerous children who are illiterate and having the ability to read and write is like a gift. It makes you the part of an educated society. I thought I was lucky that I was not home schooled and learning reading and writing went smoothly.

Learning how to write really holds significance to me as this was the only thing I remember that I was not good at. Just now at the beginning of my tenth grade I understood that I had a keen interest in English and I am obviously better in it than before. Even when I will be in college or working, these two hobbies will remain the same.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment